back to
"further aquisitions"
As quoted in ĎRuston 7HRGí Iíve now replaced that project with this new jobby, itís quite a bit of an odd jobby as well.
Although itís a genuine engine from Ruston (No 124975) it seems like a bit of a cobble together of 1914 Hornsby petrol front end onto a 1920ís base.
This is a town gas hit & miss  engine which is quite unusual for a Ruston as well, by all accounts this appears to the only one in existence, Ray Hooley has supplied details of supply to Henry Page & Co,Ltd, Maltsters, High Street, Ware  -  via agents Bilbie, Hobson & Co, London on 06.12.1926.
Iíve had some website issues so am only now updating so have gotten quite away into restoration, this engine was found buried in the barn of an old guy who died and his wife had it cleared out.
This engine isnít going to be painted and will be as found but cleaned and oiled
13/11/2018  Strip down and cleaning
A little hard now as have to look back and get all Iíve done into order, below are some images from initial strip down which I've labelled to give some explanation,
click them for lager pic's.
Pulling flywheel
Flywheel off
Pressure washed
Started to come apart
Just like to add that although this engine looked as though in it's rusted state things would be difficult to remove, this has turned out to be far from the truth as everything came undone easy (even tapered pins) and no fixings have been damaged at all over the years.
Looked like a nice un-molested engine
Crank out
Side shaft worn gear case
More parts
Using lathe to clean up side shaft
Rebuild and remedial actions
First of all I built a trolley up to the stage of being able to build engine onto it as engine will become very heavy when back together.
I purchased a old Parker Plant cement mixer trolley which is a nice old cast iron jobby which looks much more in keeping with age than subsequent later cheaper angle iron jobs.
The wood is just kiln dried pine from my local Travis Perkins, distressed, stained and satin varnished.

Here are some pictures documenting trolley build.
As purchased
Wood cut ,distressed & fitted
Final staining
Ready for engine
Having made quite a progress with trolley Iíll now move onto covering the rebuild of engine onto it.
Due to the fact that for quite awhile whilst rebuilding I had no access to update website youíll probably see items in pictures that havenít yet been added to early descriptions.
Iím trying to set this documentation of the restoration into some understandable order.
Here are some more picís which Iíve labelled as to what they are.
Onto trolley
Crankshaft in
Front end built up
Flywheel going on
Flywheel on
Conrod & piston fitted
The engine has quite a heavy air intake silencer and with the engine being on the move a lot (bumping along on a trailer) the air intake nozzle/valve could break off cylinder head particularly as its cast iron.
Iíve provided a plate bolted to bottom of silencer and fitted tethers to trolley to stop it swinging.
Also needing to keep most weight over none steered end of trolley (head end) so Iím mounting exhaust pot right next to head and had to make an elaborate frame to support pot (also a very heavy item).
Inlet silencer
Support from front
Support from side
Exhaust pot
mount  front
Exhaust pot
mount  front
The side shaft to governor gear cover has been broken off many years ago and in the absence of a pattern  to get one cast I made a cover from steel which Iíve taken to Watton foundry (East Coast Castings) to have a cast iron cover cast from that.
Click images
Click imaghes
Been reasonably busy! Getting through some important stages now and here are three of them.
First is the Gear cover casting (in process of aging at moment), second is cooling tank mounting box which doubles as a tool box and third is tank and relative plumbing of, tank needs aging yet and pipes will be black.
Pattern and resulting cast item
Machining of gear guard
Box in construction
Box ready for tank on trolley
Tank home
Tank on box
Drain outlet silver soldrered on
Bottom cooling pipe on
Top pipe in progress
Back of engine now sort of complete apart from painting of pipes showing with exhaust pot back on and tank drain tap protruding from box
First aging attempt on guard
Gear guard partially aged and fitted but will be aged more later
Tank ferrules fitted and piping underway
Click image
Click images
Tank, pipe work and exhaust bracketry painted
Had a bit of a run up and nearing completion now
Mount painted
As the top water flange is incorrect Iíve made another to look more like what would have been fitted
Project is nearly finished now and Iíve made a tug handle to move rig around (not that there will be much Ďtuggingí (itís far too heavy)), made provisions to store on underside when not in use.
Click images
Small update but here is the new flange aged with electrolysis  and fitted to engine
On engine
Completed handle
Release mech'
Mounted to tug
In storage clips
As engine will have to be kept outside under a cover and the tug handle will be stored under the trolley frame, I've had the handle powder coated matt black.
I'm quite away through designing and making folding frame that can be mounted on trolley , I'd like to have covered with .6mm aluminium sheet but would come to around 500 quid just in the sheet so going for having a waxed tarpaulin stitched to fit over, I will have to create a hump in top to avoid water laying up there.
As I canít keep this engine in my workshop Iíve been making a fully collapsible frame that mounts onto engine trolley, Iíve had a cover made by Cunningham Covers to fit over the top.
Click images
Engine is now ready for first rally which is 30th & 31st March at the Eastern Counties Vintage Show on the Royal Norfolk Show Ground
In kit form